Accelerated Placement Program
6:135 Accelerated Placement Program
The District provides an Accelerated Placement Program (APP). The APP advances the District’s goal of providing educational programs with opportunities for each student to develop to his or her maximum potential. The APP provides an educational setting with curriculum options usually reserved for students who are older or in higher grades than the student participating in the APP. APP options include, but may not be limited to: (a) accelerating a student in a single subject; (b) other grade-level acceleration; and (c) early entrance to kindergarten or first grade. Participation in the APP is open to all students who demonstrate high ability and who may benefit from accelerated placement. It is not limited to students who have been identified as gifted and talented. Eligibility to participate in the District’s APP shall not be conditioned upon the protected classifications identified in Board policy 7:10, Equal Educational Opportunities, or any factor other than the student’s identification as an accelerated learner.
The Superintendent or designee shall implement an APP that includes:
- Decision-making processes that are fair, equitable, and involve multiple individuals, e.g. District administrators, teachers, and school support personnel, and a student’s parent(s)/guardian(s);
- Notification processes that notify a student’s parent(s)/guardian(s) of a decision affecting a student’s participation in the APP;
- Assessment processes that include multiple valid, reliable indicators; and
- By the fall of 2023, the automatic enrollment, in the following school term, of a student into the next most rigorous level of advanced coursework offered by the high school if the student meets or exceeds State standards in English language arts, mathematics, or science on a State assessment administered under 105 ILCS 5/2-3.64a-5, as follows:
- A student who meets or exceeds State standards in English language arts shall be automatically enrolled into the next most rigorous level of advanced coursework in English, social studies, humanities, or related subjects.
- A student who meets or exceeds State standards in mathematics shall be automatically enrolled into the next most rigorous level of advanced coursework in mathematics.
- A student who meets or exceeds State standards in science shall be automatically enrolled into the next most rigorous level of advanced coursework in science.
105 ILCS 5/14A.
23 Ill.Admin.Code Part 227, Gifted Education.
CROSS REF.: 6:10 (Educational Philosophy and Objectives), 6:130 (Program for the Gifted), 7:10 (Equal Educational Opportunities), 7:50 (School Admissions and Student Transfers To and From Non-District Schools)
Adopted: January 19, 2022